W

X

Saturday, May 19, 2007

ByteBlaster Server Beta Changes

I have been studying changes to the ByteBlaster Server to make it more efficient. We know that the EMWIN data stream will be moving from 9600 baud to 19200 baud in the near future. Due to this change the bandwidth required to run a ByteBlaster server will double.

With that thought in mind, I have implemented changes in the ByteBlaster Server code to compress the data block and make it variable length. My initial tests for a 20 minute period indicates a 30% decrease in packet size. This test period included a number of graphic products that do not compress.

I will be testing this server code on my production system. I will release a beta version of Weather Message that incorporates these changes in WxByte. If the tests are successful, I will publish a paper on the protocol changes.

No comments: